Monday, August 16, 2021

A Letter to My 13-year old Self

Dhananjay Thakur
SYJC-F

Dear David,

Yes! I know that is not your name; pardon me, I'm calling a spade, a spade outright in the beginning, but that's how you have always been. What you are, I was! It is so consuming that I get to advise my younger self - a little more annoying, more arrogant, and more naive than me. So that's the only difference between the two of us, or so I'd like to believe!

"David" has been your best friend in every letter in the English paper instead of your actual friend! Indeed, I understand you reject cringy and ordinary things in life, but writing your best friends' name in that imaginary letter won't have taken him away. I know the anguish of someone leaving was the reason behind your actions. It was great prophylactic thinking on your part. But this cannot go on, can it? We are all hanging by a thread when it comes to trust. I think you should take a leap of faith and begin again in the case of friendships. I am sure you can befriend all the people that are out there in this universe. It was and will never be your style or approach to do things the people's way, by the "herd mentality". But at times doing things by the traditional methods and not looking at exceptions as success is the best approach. I agree exceptions in life feel good, actually great; it gives you your identity and distinguishes you from the crowd. It also has its consequences, of not belonging to a group or not leading an ordinary social life. It was and will be okay for you! Don't change your choices due to peer pressure.

I feel a sense of moral superiority now that I am advising my younger-self, not to be a people pleaser. It takes a great deal of courage to talk without flattery. I know you didn't mean to, though that's how you'd sound.

Yes, you have been made fun of a lot for your name, and you dealt with it in the best possible way. But this "flattery talking" is a grave problem to be addressed. Not only does it make you look meek but also artificial. It has been years now, but there's still some work left in that area.

They say that whatever went wrong is water under the bridge! Several instances were unpleasant in your early years but, you haven't let them go. They say holding a grudge is like a stone in your heart; what's said is said and, I think letting it go is the best remedy for it! I don't mean to criticize you, no point since it's the past; just that it's wise to analyze and learn from your mistakes! The riddance of the heavy burden you carry on your chest is a great relief, trust me! Now that I connect the dots, I find your response to the social challenges you faced, justified but they can't be the same as you mature. It sounds overwhelming, but we have to let go of the baggage because it slows us down. I usually enjoy advising people because it's tax-free, and people give you their full attention. Jokes apart, it sounds easy otherwise but, to appraise your past self doesn't feel easy. Advising would mean trying to correct your past self, thus proving your past choices wrong. I wish to live a life devoid of regrets and, criticizing my past self leads me nowhere away from it! Onward with this letter, I will highlight some of the things that I adore about you. And I'll make it quick in these 200 words that I have!

I admire that you looked at the concept of truthfulness objectively because it is a grey concept right now for me, unlike the black and white one for you! Life was simple then, 'Eat. Sleep. Study. Repeat.' Now the lines between true and false look blurred. As you mature, it will be tough but, please (and this is my only advice to you) support honesty because truth alone triumphs. And the times you don't, accept it, apologize and move on. It was futile to argue and coerce you to do things according to others; you always have had individuality and let that remain so - 'the OG'!

Don't be over the moon but, your language skills were impressive for your age, so don't be bogged down by a defeat or two. Perchance it would have been awe-inspiring had you read a few more books! (Sorry, this is the last piece of advice!!!).

It's incoherent to understand the past of someone without knowing where they are currently. I would choose you anytime over me if I were to choose between the two of us (okay, maybe not anytime!). Well, you get the gist: Yesterday was history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is the gift. That is why this is called the Present. Enjoy your days in school. They end quickly. And cheers to your glorious future (namely Me).

Yours honestly,
Your future-self.
Dhananjay.

2 comments:

Subject: CA Rutvi Niwathe - Interested in Opportunities at Wealth Wizards.

 Respected Sir/Madam, My name is Rutvi Niwathe, and I recently came across an article on LinkedIn outlining the advances your company has ma...